Sustainable synthetic graphite
Today, anode materials are one of the largest greenhouse gas emission contributors in battery cell production. Vianode plans to change that.
Vianode’s battery materials are produced with 90% lower CO2 emissions than today's standard materials.
This is made possible thanks to specialised and proprietary know-how in high temperature, closed production processing systems, lower energy consumption and access to clean renewable energy at our production sites.
Better batteries that last longer
Synthetic graphite, the most common anode material, has exceptional cycle life compared to other anode materials. In addition to enhancing product quality, improved cycle life also has a sustainability element to it:
- It enables an increased lifetime for batteries and electric vehicles (EV), supporting faster EV adoption and a functioning second-hand EV market
- It will assist critical infrastructure innovations, such as vehicle-to-grid or vehicle-to-home applications, necessary to support global electrification
Cleaner production technology
Vianode's production processes use innovative, closed furnace technology, which implies:
- Reduced energy consumption (approximately 50% reduction in the graphitisation part of production compared to conventional production)
- Minimal other direct emissions, including dust and sulphur dioxide (SO₂)
- Enabling efficient energy recovery processes to facilitate district heating, for example
Access to renewable energy
Despite the reduced energy consumption, production of synthetic graphite is still energy intensive. Vianode's production is based on electricity from renewable hydro power, reducing the greenhouse gas footprint as much as possible.
Recycling throughout the process
Recycling is also an integral part of Vianode's business model, and we have a circular approach to our production. This means that we will recycle graphite throughout the production process and establish a means to recycle end-of-life batteries.
Vianode has successfully recycled graphite from used batteries back into new battery grade graphite achieving very good performance.
For inquiries related to sustainability or the Norwegian Transparancy Act, please contact us here.