- Anode Materials
Our innovative synthetic graphites
Current state of electric vehicle (EV) battery technology
The majority of lithium-ion battery technology consists of four main components: an anode, a cathode, an electrolyte and a separator.
Why is the anode important and what is synthetic graphite?
The anode is the negative electrode in a battery. The anode is important because the material choices of the anode will affect the safety, charging speed, capacity and life cycle of a battery.
Synthetic graphite is an active anode material consisting of graphitic carbon which has been obtained by graphitization at high temperatures, resulting in a pure final synthetic graphite product.
Active anode materials directly impact and determine the following battery performance characteristics:
- Synthetic graphite is the leading anode material today and is widely regarded as a thoroughly tested and proven anode material.
- Charging speed
- Li-Ion battery charging speed is determined by the anode material, synthetic graphite allows quick and effective charging speeds.
- Maximum and reversible capacity
- Synthetic graphite provides low de-lithiation potential and high gravimetric capacity. Continued development of silicon-graphite composites for future generations will increase overall battery capacity.
- Cycle life and longevity of the battery cell
- Synthetic graphite enables long cycle life that is required by battery manufacturers.
- The sustainability of the battery cell
- Vianode’s production of synthetic graphite is accomplished using proprietary and environmentally sustainable processing technology that reduces greenhouse emissions by 90% compared to most synthetic graphite production today.
- Synthetic graphite is recyclable and recoverable from used batteries and can be repurposed for further use.
Vianode and Synthetic Graphite Production
Vianode has developed a range of synthetic graphite products with unique performance characteristics that can be adjusted to meet specific customer requirements. Through on-going R&D efforts and innovation, Vianode will continue to develop future active anode materials with synthetic graphite, silicon, and other blends based on market and industry needs.
For more information, contact our experts!
All of Vianode's products are sustainably designed and produced in Norway. For more information, please visit our sustainability pages.